Sunday, February 28, 2010

It never hurts to ask.

So, I bought a Dyson. I know, totally uncharacteristic of my frugal ways. But I had to. I went from about 200 square feet of carpet to around 3000 and the old vacuum wasn't cutting it. Not even close. Now, of course I didn't pay full price for it. I had some gift cards and worked it into a transaction with other groceries and was able to get it for more than 50% off. I was happy with that. I had made peace with my large purchase. Until last night. I received a phone call from my super coupon shopping partner in crime, Jessica. She ever so gently and lovingly let me know that the prices for the Dyson I had just bought were reduced to $125.00 less than what I had paid. WHAT!?! And I had just made peace. How could they do this to me! Dramatic I know, but those things are EXPENSIVE!
So I calmed down and a clear thought came to mind. Call Target and simply ask, with the kindest voice of course, "if I bring my receipt for my purchase in would they honor the new clearanced price?" "Yes, " The groggy voiced target customer service representative said. (You see I called first thing this morning, it was haunting me!) I clarified and asked again because I didn't think it would be that simple. I thought I would have to put up a fight and I am not one for coupon or clearance price confrontation. Irritated she answered yes again.
That was easy. Saved myself even more by just asking. I'm not sure I would have thought to do that a few years ago, pre coupon craziness.
Lessons learned:
1) Be sure to have a trusted frugal friend willing to look out for great deals with you and,
2)Always be willing to call and ask for price adjustments, honoring another stores price, and if they accept competitor's coupons.
It definitely doesn't hurt to ask!

2 comments:

GCO DR Team 2015 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Luisi Famiy said...

OH wow honey! I am jealous! First off, which Dyson did you get and second off, how can I get those coupons???? I am dying for one for our house but haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money. email me if you can. tiffanynluisi@yahoo.com