Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tuesdays

Every Tuesday begins with recovery from the weekend. Steven's weekend from work is Sunday and Monday, and it is always jam-packed. I go back and forth about whether or not this is a good thing. I always end up on the side of it being good. We fill the weekend with family events and meals shared with others. Monday night always ends with a great night at home group and dear friends staying late for conversation, dessert, prayer, encouragement and fun! Anyway, as a result of our weekend I always wake up on Tuesdays extra sleepy. I have come to love our Tuesdays (sort of). I have low expectations and yet we still accomplish a ton. Typically one would find us still in our pajamas in the afternoon. We start in on the gigantic pile of laundry that has piled up over the week. School work starts up again. Tuesdays mornings are often accompanied by a kid movie. Things are mellow. It seems as though even the dogs know it's a laid back day as they lounge around the house frequently napping. I begin to de-clutter some of the paper pile up from the previous week and attempt to finish the dishes from the night before. I realized that if I don't get a handle on the dishes by Tuesday morning there is no hope for catch up the rest of the week. Some weeks I win, some weeks the dishes do.
Another typical Tuesday ritual is my unfortunate inability to resist the amazing left over dessert from home group. Angela spoils us each week with a new delicious dessert and I typically cant resist! I always beg her to take the leftovers home knowing that I will not be able to fight the temptation. She never does though and so I enjoy them with a cup of coffee or two.
I have been learning a lot about expectations, and Tuesdays seem to foster more growth their. Difficult things or circumstances can do that to you. I realized that when one fights against the difficulties, one usually doesn't grow much. In fact, I believe ones growth may be stunted. So this "one" has been learning to, for lack of a better cliche, "go with the flow". I think it is hilarious that all those times my parents were telling me that they are older and wiser and some day I will see things differently, they were right! That lesson has been learned so frequently as the years have gone by now. It has me often pondering what opinions that I hold so dear to now, I will actually be laughing at ten years from now. I am at least glad I realize that I am not too wise yet and I will always have more to learn.
So, here's to Tuesdays! Dreaded and desired all in one. Is that even possible? It seems to be.

No comments: